Chairs of Doctoral Consortium
- Dr. Jayakanth Srinivasan, MIT, USA
- Prof. Pekka Abrahamsson, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Prof. Markku Oivo, University of Oulu, Finland
- Prof. Michele Marchesi, University of Cagliari, Italy
|Important Doctoral Consortium Dates|
|Proposal submission deadline:||Sep-30, 2010|
|Notification of acceptance:||Oct 5, 2010|
|Doctoral Consortium:||Oct 17, 2010|
|Welcome reception (evening):||Oct-17, 2010|
|Poster Session:||Oct-19, 2010|
|LESS 2010 Conference:||Oct-18-20 2010|
Nominations are invited for the LESS 2010 Doctoral Consortium to be held on Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 in conjunction with 1st International Conference on Lean Enterprise Software and Systems 2010 in Helsinki, Finland.
The Consortium provides a unique opportunity for doctoral students in lean/agile processes software engineering and software business, beyond budgeting and related areas to present their work and their plans to an audience of peers and faculty. A friendly and constructive event is planned which will provide valuable feedback to PhD students.
The Consortium will be held at the Hotel Hilton Kalastajatorppa on Sunday October 17, 2010. Lunch and morning and afternoon refreshments will be provided during the Consortium.
Consortium Welcome Reception
The Consortium welcomes all participants with an informal get-together together with LESS 2010 attendees with drinks and snacks on Sunday evening.
There is no registration fee for the consortium, but participants must attend the LESS 2010 conference and pay the necessary early-bird registration fee (choose group rate). Although the Consortium itself will not provide financial support towards accommodation or travel expenses, low-cost accommodation is available (follow accommodation details in the conference website).
Objectives of the Consortium
The Doctoral Consortium will provide students with an opportunity to:
- Present their research work in a relaxed and supportive environment
- Receive feedback and suggestions from peers and experienced faculty
- Gain an overview of the breadth and depth of agile development research
- Obtain insight into directions for agile development research taken by other doctoral candidates
- Discuss concerns about research, supervision, the job market, and other issues
- Network with peers and future colleagues
PhD students, who are currently working on their dissertation/thesis in Lean/Agile Development and elated areas, are eligible for nomination. The ideal Consortium candidates should have chosen their theoretical approach, developed their methodology, and started their empirical work, but should at the time of the Consortium have at least 6-12 months work remaining before expected completion.
The number of participants in the Doctoral Consortium will be limited. Selection for the Consortium will be based on the quality of the submission, the contribution the student may make to the Consortium, and the potential benefit of the Consortium to the student’s research.
During the conference, each Doctoral Consortium participant is expected to prepare a poster of the research topic and present it during the Poster Session event during LESS 2010 conference. This enables the PhD students to gain feedback on their research topics from the conference participants also. The guidance for preparing the posters will be provided upon the acceptance notification for the Doctoral Consortium submission.
The language of the Consortium is English. All submitted materials must be in English. Attendees must have sufficient proficiency in English to allow them to participate in the academic discussions of the Consortium.
To be considered for the Consortium, candidates need to submit the following by Thursday September 30, 2010
- A 2000-3000 word extended abstract, including a title, outline of the research topic, research question(s), key background literature, proposed methodology and current stage of the research. Alternatively, you may send your draft conference paper on your research topic. Note the paper should be a full draft and it should be tied to the conference theme.
- A cover page showing the student’s full name, affiliation (university and school/department), and all contact details including name, mailing and e-mail addresses, and telephone and fax numbers. The student should also indicate the name(s) of his or her principal faculty supervisors.
- All of the above should be submitted via email to Dr. Jayakanth Srinivasan at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday September 30, 2010. Prospective participants will be informed of the outcome by October 5, 2010.
We look forward to receiving your nomination and your participation in the LESS 2010 Doctoral Consortium. Should you have any queries, please contact:
- Dr. Jayakanth Srinivasan, MIT, USA – jksrini(at)gmail.com
- Prof. Pekka Abrahamsson, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, Finland – pekka.abrahamsson(at)cs.helsinki.fi
- Prof. Markku Oivo, Dept. of Information Processing Science, University of Oulu, Finland – markku.oivo(at)oulu.fi
- Prof. Michele Marchesi, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Cagliari, Italy – Michele(at)diee.unica.it